Sunday 3 June 2012

Fingers Crossed

Soon we will be walking through
our French gate. 
The memory of the terse words exchanged between My Man on the Ground and me during the last 12 months is slowly dissipating each time I receive a progress report on My French Folly and an old hidden feature of the house is unexpectedly revealed. The process of making our house habitable, from 16000 km away, has been akin to childbirth - great anticipation followed by the inevitable pain of delivery, that was somehow blocked out of our consciousness when we first embarked on this journey. Once  the baby is is placed in your arms the memory of this dreadful procedure is suddenly dulled to the point that you would even contemplate repeating the whole process.
An original fireplace
has been discovered.*


I'm sure our trials and tribulations with My French Folly are not over, and my "baby" is not in my arms as yet, but I am now seeing a fruitful end to what has been a very long gestation period. Fingers crossed that all goes well between now and the delivery.      
This event is still celebrated at a local village and is scheduled so we can experience it first hand this year.
Courtesy - Google
* Images courtesy of My Man on the Ground

5 comments:

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Elizabeth, my fingers are crossed too, and I hope that the progress will continue from TMOTG - so glad that he is taking photos as he peels back the layers of history on this wonderful "home"

Bises,
Genie

Heather Robinson said...

Incredible! That fireplace! The gate! Oooh, I start to understand more and more the charm of the Folly. I too will be sending good energy that all progresses well!

French Basketeer.com said...

I have been off email and offline for weeks; but not stopped thinking good thoughts for you and thinking of being in Burgundy this summer. Email to you tomorrow!! xxoo~

Karena said...

Elizabeth thank you for your visit I miss you and your posts!!Many good thoughts being sent your way!


Anita's Parisian Party

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Jacqueline said...

Birth is hard enough, but birth to an ancient in a foreign country would be labor indeed! Nevertheless, what a lovely undertaking and so much fun when you finish. So nice to meet you. I hope to hear more and see more.